IPL Photorejuvenation Columbus
If you are looking to
- Lighten and remove sun spots, freckles or age spots;
- Lighten and reduce redness caused by rosacea, dilated or broken blood vessels;
- Improve and reduce acne breakouts; or
- Improve your skin texture and pore size;
then an IPL photo-facial might be your solution.
IPL or Intense Pulsed Light lasers create waves of light which target either melanin (the darker pigment in your skin) or hemoglobin (the red blood cells in blood vessels). The light passes through the surface of skin and is then absorbed by either the melanin or hemoglobin, breaking it apart and reducing the color on your skin. The body will then absorb the tiny blood vessels and pigment, making them less visible. IPL treatments are done as a series of 3-5 treatments a few weeks apart.
Where on the body can IPL be used?
IPL treatments are most commonly performed on the face, neck, chest and hands, but can be effective on other areas, depending on the condition you want treated.
What are the IPL Treatments like?
When you come to our office, you will be shown to a private room. We will give you special glasses to protect your eyes. A cool gel is then placed on the skin being treated. The smooth surface of the laser hand piece is then gently applied to your skin and pulses of light will flash. It may sting slightly, like the snapping of a small rubber band.
How long will the results from an IPL treatment last?
The success of your results will depend on how much sun exposure your skin gets after your IPL treatments. If you take good care of your skin and protect it from the sun, your skin will continue to look good with annual maintenance treatments. If, however, you are in the sun without sunscreen, the underlying issues, whether they are brown spots or vascular redness, will return. Sunscreen will be critically important in maintaining your results.
Is there anyone who is not a candidate for IPL treatments?
Anyone who is pregnant or nursing. We just cannot do laser treatments during this special time in your life. Also, we don’t perform laser treatments on anyone who has used Accutane in the last 24 months.
What do I need to know or do before treatment?
Here are our pre-treatment instructions. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Please follow these instructions carefully:
The following instructions should be followed closely except when instructed. Notify Dr. Lichten of any unusual changes in your condition and feel free to call the office at (740) 653-5064 with any questions. We want your treatment to be as effective as possible.
Please advise us about all of your medical conditions and medications before you have your treatment, as there are some that prevent us from performing Laser Resurfacing. These include, but are not limited to the following:
- If you are pregnant or nursing
- If you have taken Accutane any time in the past two years.
- If you have an active herpes infection, you may not have the treatment until it resolves. If you are prone to herpes, but do not have an active infection, please let us know and we can prescribe prophylactic antivirals.
- Please advise Dr. Lichten if you have any healing disorders like diabetes, a connective tissue disease or are undergoing radiation or chemotherapy.
- If you have a history of hypertrophic or keloid scars.
Before your Treatment
- Avoid sun exposure, including tanning beds for 3 weeks before and 3 weeks after the treatment. Tanned skin has extra melanin which attracts laser energy and may lead to pigmentation changes in the skin.
- Follow the skin care regimen prescribed by Dr. Lichten. Discontinue the use of exfoliating creams, hydroquinone and Tretinoin (RetinA) 3 days before your treatment.
The Day of your Treatment
- Drink lots of water the day before and the day of your treatment.
- You may use Tylenol for discomfort.
- You may use ice packs before treatment to reduce discomfort.
- Avoid applying any lotion, sunscreen, perfume or similar cosmetics to the surface of your skin in the treatment area.
I felt totally at ease. Everyone was so nice and friendly that it was as if I had known them for a while…Probably the nicest staff I’ve ever dealt with.
*Individual results may vary