Central Ohio Plastic Surgery is excited to bring on the Rohrer Spectrum Erbium Facial Resurfacing laser. Erbium laser skin resurfacing is the gold standard treatment for patients who want to improve the appearance of their skin. Erbium resurfacing smooths out the skin in the face from superficial lines through moderately deep wrinkles.
Erbium lasers provide greater correction and deeper treatment than the IPL resurfacing, but are not as aggressive and have a shorter downtime than a treatment with our Fraxel re:pair laser. The Erbium laser treatment is an excellent alternative to those with less severe skin damage or who would prefer a quicker recovery.
Which areas of the body are most effectively treated by Erbium?
Erbium laser skin resurfacing can make skin appear younger and more refreshed. The erbium is most effective for treating fine lines and wrinkles on the face, décolletage or hands. Erbium has also been shown to stimulate collagen production, which will continue to smooth and tighten loose skin.
How long will the results from an Erbium laser skin resurfacing treatment last?
The success of your results will depend on how much sun exposure your skin gets after your Erbium treatments. If you take good care of your skin and protect it from the sun, your skin will continue to look good. If, however, you are in the sun without sunscreen, the underlying issues, whether they are brown spots or vascular redness, will return. Sunscreen will be critically important in maintaining your results.
Is there anyone who is not a candidate for Erbium treatments?
Anyone who is pregnant or nursing. We just cannot do laser treatments during this special time in your life. Also, we don’t perform laser treatments on anyone who has used Accutane in the last 24 months.
What do I need to know or do before treatment?
Here are our pre-treatment instructions. Please let us know if you have any questions.
The following instructions should be followed closely except when instructed. Notify Dr. Lichten of any unusual changes in your condition and feel free to call the office at (740) 653-5064 with any questions. We want your treatment to be as effective as possible.
Please advise us about all of your medical conditions and medications before you have your treatment, as there are some that prevent us from performing Laser Resurfacing. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
- 1. If you are pregnant or nursing
- 2. If you have taken Accutane any time in the past two years.
- 3. If you have taken aspirin, ibuprofen or Aleve any time in the past 3 days.
- 4. If you have an active herpes infection, you may not have the treatment until it resolves. If you are prone to herpes, but do not have an active infection, please let us know and we can prescribe prophylactic antivirals.
- 5. Please advise Dr. Lichten if you have any healing disorders like diabetes, a connective tissue disease or are undergoing radiation or chemotherapy.
- 6. If you have a history of hypertrophic or keloid scars.
Before your Treatment
- 1. Avoid sun exposure, including tanning beds for 3 weeks before and 3 weeks after the treatment. Tanned skin has extra melanin which attracts laser energy and may lead to pigmentation changes in the skin.
- 2. Follow the skin care regimen prescribed by Dr. Lichten. Discontinue the use of exfoliating creams, hydroquinone and Tretinoin (RetinA) 3 days before your treatment.
The Day of your Treatment
- 1. Drink lots of water the day before and the day of your treatment.
- 2. You may use Tylenol for discomfort.
- 3. You may use ice packs before treatment to reduce discomfort.
- 4. Avoid applying any lotion, sunscreen, perfume or similar cosmetics to the surface of your skin in the treatment area.
Bexley Living Magazine
- Perfect Complexion? – November 2017
I felt totally at ease. Everyone was so nice and friendly that it was as if I had known them for a while…Probably the nicest staff I’ve ever dealt with.
*Individual results may vary